Sushi lover suffers from diarrhea and pulled 5-foot tapeworm from intestines

A California man with an love for raw fish had a noteworthy alarm when a trip to the bathroom led to a disturbing discovery. He felt sick with diarrhea when he saw what resembled a bit of digestive system hanging out of his body.

The man grabbed it and pulled it out and soon learned it was really a 5-and-a-half-foot tapeworm.

Photo via: TNP
Photo via: TNP

Emergency physician Dr. Kenny Bahn was the doctor on call at the local emergency room in Fresno where the man went and retells the story of the incident on a recent episode of the podcast “This Won’t Hurt A Bit.”

The patient went to the ER and approached to be treated with for worms, something Bahn said he hears a considerable measure from patients who attempt to self-analyze and frequently makes him skeptical.

In any case, at that point Bahn saw the man had a plastic bag in his grasp. Inside, he had wrapped the worm around a cardboard tissue tube.

“That came out of your bottom?” Bahn asked the man, who answered, “Yes.”

Photo via: TNP
Photo via: TNP

 

The doctor made further inquiries and discovered that the man was experiencing stomach cramping and bloody diarrhea. While using the restroom he saw something hanging out of himself and pulled.

“He grabs it, and he pulls on it, and it keeps coming out,” Bahn related on the podcast. He then held it in front of him “and what does it do? It starts moving.”

At the hospital, Bahn disentangled the tapeworm and laid it on paper towels on the emergency room floor. It measured 5 and a half feet long. “My height,” Bahn said.

He soon took in the man had not flew out to some other nations or shared in any irregular conduct that may have presented him to the parasite. He admitted, in any case, that he had a love for sushi – especially raw salmon sashimi – and ate it day by day.

Photo via: TNP
Photo via: TNP

A year ago, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention cautioned that a tapeworm known to taint salmon from the Asian Pacific is currently present in fish from U.S. waters.

While the danger of getting a tapeworm from eating raw or undercooked fish is low, doctors warn it is possible.

Different pathogens, including the Salmonella microscopic organisms and different parasitic worms, may likewise be available and can cause sickness.

To ensure yourself, experts prescribe not purchasing raw or undercooked fish at restaurants that are not satisfactory on their health grades.

Photo via: TNP
Photo via: TNP

Dr. Daniel Eiras, collaborator teacher of irresistible maladies at NYU Langone Medical Center, disclosed to CBS News last May.

“I would not go to a restaurant with ‘C’ rating in New York largely for this reason. It’s a big red flag when a sushi restaurant can’t maintain an ‘A’ rating, because one of the main things they get rated on is refrigeration. They’re not cooking the fish so that is the only prevention method, keeping it cold,”

While preparing fish at home, cook fish to an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration suggests. Freezing fish can kill parasites, as well, as indicated by the FDA.

What can you say about this?
Share your thoughts in the comments box! Don’t forget to like Philippine VIral on Facebook for more news and updates!

Source: TNPcbsnews
Comments